WITH WHAT KISS?

Meditations on End-Of-2011 Exhortation by Apostle Dr. Opoku Onyinah, Chairman of the Church of Pentecost

On December 23, 2011 a very transforming chord was struck in my system when Apostle Dr. Opoku Onyinah exhorted the Head Office Staff at the end-of year service. I did not need a second asking to settle my 2012 resolution, with which I quickly updated my status on Facebook:

In 2012 and beyond, I want to speak what is in my heart, and let my face reflect what is in my mind. May I fully accomplish all that I commit myself to. May the Lord, whose word never fails make my word also reliable. Merry Christmas to all the wonderful friends I made in 2011

His theme for the morning was “With What Kiss are You Greeting Your Lord?” He recalled three kisses that betrayed their recipients:

  1. Then they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her. And she said, "Look, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods; return after your sister-in-law." Ruth 1:14, 15
  1. Then Joab said to Amasa, "Are you in health, my brother?" And Joab took Amasa by the beard with his right hand to kiss him. But Amasa did not notice the sword that was in Joab's hand. And he struck him with it in the stomach, and his entrails poured out on the ground; and he did not strike him again. Thus he died. 2 Samuel 20:9, 10
  1. And while He was still speaking, behold, a multitude; and he who was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them and drew near to Jesus to kiss Him. But Jesus said to him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?" Luke 22:47, 48

Apostle’s message was direct: It is the height of deception to use the kiss, a very high token of affection to greet one whom your are either abandoning or murdering. We all ultimately serve the Lord Christ, but in His name we serve others. When we display open affection for people, and yet gossip maliciously behind them, we are not better than Orpah, Joab or Judas!

The Holy Spirit convicted me right away. I remembered that out of frustration I gossiped (sometimes maliciously) about virtually every category of my relationships, from my superiors through members and officers of my flock and family. I even gossiped about public officials and persons I have only seen on TV. Wao! I felt heavy and dirty (and moments ago, I had been leading the congregation in singing praises to God).

I was sorry, and I thanked the Holy Spirit for doing the excellent work of convicting me of the unnecessary shameful load of needless and malicious gossip. I saw that God wanted to make my countenance bright and consistent, that I will never again have the need to cut short another conversation, when someone comes in; that I will never again need to be anxious about any soul hearing even my reported conversations.

I cast myself on the mercy and grace of God even before the time of prayer on the program. With my eyes wide open, I prayed earnestly within me, asking God to forever take away that remaining burden of sin and disgrace from my life. I felt relieved and thus resolved that “Forever, I will endeavour to let the 'back of my head' be like my face; my lips will declare to the next person what is in my heart towards him or her, good or bad; I will never conceal the pain or frustration I feel towards another when I have the chance to speak with him or her; nor will I hide the love, goodwill and encouragement that the Holy Spirit fills my heart with for others.

I am sounding a word of caution to all my friends: If I was a gossip, I have changed! It was too much of a burden and a shame that does not look good on a fine promising child of God like me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE CHRISTIAN AND THE LAW OF MOSES

FOR BETTER FOR WORSE FOR GOOD

LOCKDOWN FOOD STOCKING UP